Thursday, January 31, 2013

Passing down the Treasures

As some of you know my mom,
who will turn 89 in a couple of weeks,
was a World War II Bride

My pretty English mother
met a handsome American GI
feel in love and during wartime
they were married 

My mom's cousin and his wife
gave them this set of dessert knives
as a wedding gift


they were married in 1945
so that makes this set of knives at least 68 years old


They have a beautiful bone handle



This is the inscription in the lid of the box

The King would be King George VI, Queen Elizabeth's father
yes, the same king featured in the movie "The King's Speech"

Last week when I was in the Dallas area
and visited my mom I mentioned that
she had said someday she would
pass these on to me

She said "Well, what day is it?"
and before I could answer
She said "Oh, it's someday so
I guess I will pass them down to you today


I promised her I would take very good care of them
and at the appropriate time I would pass
them down to my granddaughter

She said "Well you like to have tea parties
so you'll probably use them more than I did"

Every Little Birdie says-


I can't wait to have a tea party so I can use them!!!!


7 comments:

  1. What a lovely day for passing them on! It would be so much fun to use them at a special tea WITH your mom.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn, What a lovely idea, I hope to do that someday.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet story! And the knives are just beautiful! (Visiting via The Dedicated House! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful of your Mother to give you such a lovely gift. Little things mean a lot.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also.

    ..

    Feel free to visit my site :: www.coenembo.com
    My site :: website

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gοod post. I learn ѕomething totally new anԁ challenging on blogѕ I stumbleupоn everyday.
    It's always interesting to read content from other authors and practice something from their web sites. This Internet site

    ReplyDelete