Thursday, February 2, 2012

A stroll on the beach



We drove over to Magnolia Beach today.  It's about 40 minutes from our home.  After a stroll on the beach we drove over to Port Lavaca to see the beach and shop in some of the cute stores on Main Street.  Yes, we found some bargins!  Mom found three little linen napkins for $2.00 and I found three pretty dollies for $1.00 each.


My mother is 88 yrs. old.  She was born and raised on the south coast of England, therefore, her love of the coast.  During World War II a very handsome American GI swept her off her feet and married her.  Shortly after the war ended, she sailed with all the other war brides to America.  I can only imagine the adventure that must have been.  Coming to a new land, so strange and different from her beloved England.  But here she is many years later enjoying Magnolia beach, collecting shells, listening to the sea gulls and remembering a far away land that she still loves.

Marsha and Mom enjoying the beach

As I mentioned she is staying with me for a week.  Last night we watched "The King's Speech".  The film begins in 1925 when King George V was still ruling.  My mom was one year old.  By the end of the film when the Duke of York takes the throne after his brother leaves the throne for "Mrs. Simpson" my mom was 16 years old.  She talked about how her mother insisted she listen to all of King George VI speeches.  It was fascinating to listen to her talk about that period of time.    If you haven't seen this film I would highly recommend it.  It's a great movie.





No comments:

Post a Comment