Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Home Sweet Home

I am so glad to be back home!  The Dallas/Ft.Worth area is a great place to visit but a week there is a little too long.  Once I'm there I begin to miss my calm, peaceful country living and feel the need to head back SOUTH!!!!  I did get to visit my daughter and her family while I was there and celebrate my granddaughter's birthday.

This is my sweet Avery.  She turned 11 years old.
She is growing into a beautiful young lady
and her Papa and Nana are so proud of her!

I brought my mom back with me to Victoria and she is staying for a week.   My sister and brother in law are coming this weekend for four days and then they will take her back home.  This will be the first time for all of them to visit our new home and we are thrilled to host them, cook for them and share our country life.
Tomorrow we are taking my mom to the beach. 
It will be in the low 70's.  Not bad for February!!
Once my sister and her hubby arrive the boys will go fishing and the girls will take a shopping trip to Goliad.  The cute square in Goliad has darling shops and
I will have to share with you in another blog
about all the treasures
we hunt down while shopping!!

My sweet, niece Ashley over at The Vanilla Tulip blog
has requested my baked Ziti recipe.

Here you go Ashley,


Baked Ziti

1 lb ziti pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage, ground
(I used 1 lb of Italian sausage and did not use ground beef)
1 1/2 jars (26 ounce) jars marinara sauce
6 slices provolone cheese
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1- 8 oz. package mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.  Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Saute onion until transparent.  Stir in rosemary and garlic, set aside.  Place ground beef and Italian sausage in a large heavy skillet and cook over medium high heat until browned.  Drain and return to skillet.  Stir in onion mixture and marinara sauce.  Season with salt.  Reduce heat to low and simmer 8 to 10 minutes.  In a greased 9 x 13 inch casserole dish, layer 1/2 of cooked pasta and provolone cheese,  combine sour cream and ricotta cheese and spread over provolone cheese.  Layer 1/2 meat mixture, the rest of pasta, mozzarella cheese, remaining meat mixture and Parmesan cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.  Serves 8

Well, I must head out now to my screened porch and join my mother.  I think it's almost time for a glass of wine!
It's tough but someone has to do it!!!






1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I had you for a couple days! I loved spending time with you &I can't wait to head to Victoria for spring break!

    ReplyDelete