Friday, February 19, 2016

Learning by trial and error

Remember this corner in my guest room
 
 
The chair on the right was a dumpster dive
I put it back together, painted it and re-upholstered
with a pretty toile print.
 
The chair on the left was originally Gramy's,
 my sister's mother-in-law.
My sister inherited it (along with many other
beautiful antiques) and being the sweet
sister that she is, she passed it on to me.
 
This chair is very old and has a spring seat. 
The springs were shot and when you sat
down you felt like you were going to
fall through the chair. 
 
 
 WHAT SHOULD I DO?
 
 I called a friend of mine
that does professional up-holstering.
 
Vodie - I have a problem
 
He said "You need to remove the cover and see
if the springs need to be re-tied"
 
Not wanting to sound, well stupid,
I said "Oh OK"
 
I hung up the phone and began to
research it on the good ole internet.
 
 
             Video for retying springs chair▶ 10:27https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFWjBx4Zc8Q
 
 
 

 
 

 Brown strings were the old ones
that had rotted and broke
the new string is white and
you can't really see it- thank goodness!


Ok, we won't look too close because mine
does not look like the one above but the
springs are secure and I added the poly
filling around them to add extra support








after I tied the springs I turned the chair over
and put new webbing on the bottom
I will cover this with canvas
to give it a finished look 
 
 
I then turn the chair back over
and added two layers of foam over the 
springs and then
stapled cotton batting over that
(This gave me a nice round crown for my seat
and plenty of cushion)



I then stapled a canvas covering over this,
but once again I didn't get a picture.....
 
I need to work on multi tasking
 
 
NEXT,
 
 
 
 I positioned the fabric over my chair
and trimmed it to fit
 
 
 
 
I used tack nails to secure my fabric
to the chair. Remember to stretch tight!
 
 
Working it around the back of the
chair can be tricky but
I'm not an expert and I did it
so that means so can you!!
 
 
 
I chose two pieces of trim
The wide one will cover all my staples
and tack nails.
 
I'll use my decorative nail tacks
to secure the red trim on top of
the wider beige trim




I used two kinds of glue to attach my wide trim

The fabric glue went on the fabric and the gorilla
glue was applied to the wooden frame of the chair

Two different surfaces, two different glues

 
 
I used my sandwich press to hold
down the glued trim.  It was a little tedious
because you had to do a section at a time
and let the glue dry before you moved to
the next section.
 
 
 
Next I used my decorative tacks.
I secured the red smaller trim by hammering
in the tacks.  Getting them spaced and even
takes a little practice.
Mine aren't perfect but for my first time
I don't think they look too bad.


FINISHED PIECE!

I'm pretty pleased with myself

Somebody (hubby) said they didn't think
I could do it!

Note to men:  Never tell a women she
can't do something - she will prove you
wrong every time!


Every Little Birdie says
 
Sitting pretty!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment