Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Summer Bounty

I don't have a veggie garden
 
I wish I did but I'd have to share
it with all my "deer" friends
(and by that I mean the 4 legged kind)
and neither of us share well
so that would not work
 
But the next best thing is
having great friends and neighbors
that share the bounty
from their gardens!!
 
The other day my sweet friend Judy
gave me a bag of okra from her garden
.......couple of days later I
was visiting my neighbor, Bobbie
and she shared a bag full of
butternut squash
 
I LOVE FRESH PRODUCE!
 
 
and for those of you that asked
here's how we cooked our fresh bounty
 
Start by washing and then peeling your squash
 
 
Cut in half and scoop out the seeds
then cut into one inch pieces,
 
In a bowl combine two tablespoons of olive oil, one minced garlic clove, add your squash
and salt and pepper to taste 
 
place on cookie sheet
and bake in a 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes
 
 
When they are crispy and brown
they are done!!
 
Chop your okra in bite size pieces
discarding the ends
 
 
Next, you'll need two bowls
One for your wash (buttermilk and one egg)
and one for your dredge
( 1 cup cornmeal + 1-2 tablespoons of flour,
and seasoning - we used old bay)
 
We didn't have buttermilk but my smart hubby
knew how to make his own
Combine 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
 
 
Heat oil to about 375 degrees
 
 
Cook each batch until lightly brown
 
 
 
 
Hubby grilled butterfly pork chops
to go with our fresh produce


Serve with fresh lemon & cucumber water
So refreshing

 
Thank the Lord for His provision
 
AND EAT UP!!
 
Every Little Birdie says
It's great to have friends that share their summer bounty!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment