Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Take a stroll with me

As promised in my last POST
I'd like to take you on a stroll 
to a famous little cottage in 
the English countryside





Follow me through the beautiful Thorncombe Woods to the family home of Thomas Hardy, one of the most renowned poets and novelists in English literary history




The path that leads through the woods
is so delightful
 

Let's stop and admire the Bluebells



Alas, we reach the small thatched roof cottage

The birth place and family home of Hardy

Thomas Hardy, the son of a stonemason, was born in Dorset, England, on June 2, 1840. He trained as an architect and worked in London and Dorset for ten years. Hardy began his writing career as a novelist, publishing Desperate Remedies (Tinsley Brothers) in 1871, and was soon successful enough to leave the field of architecture for writing. His novels Tess of the D’Urbervilles (Osgood McIlvaine & Co., 1891) and Jude the Obscure (Osgood McIlvaine & Co., 1895), which are considered literary classics today.

Won't you join me and my hubby
on a little tour of this charming cottage?


Perhaps Hardy sat here by the fire 
and dreamed up the plots for his 
romantic novels 

 Or spent his mornings here casting his
gaze on the beauty of the English garden
while dreaming up poetic works



I know I could sit at this little window,
with a cup of tea, and one of Hardy's
 books and lose my self for an entire afternoon

BUT
before I do, let's climb the small winding stairs 
to the second floor of this delightful cottage


Oh how beautiful!!
I think we may have discovered 
what Mrs. Hardy did with her time 
while Thomas was writing his books



and now look what we find
a cozy little bedroom 

Perhaps I'll spend the night!!



And look, there's even a room for you!



But suddenly I feel the nudge of the tour guide
moving us along

.....and now I'm afraid we must all find 
our way back to our own "cottage"

Every Little Birdie says
loveliegreenie 
I think I'll make a cup of tea
and read one of Hardy's BOOKS!!
(and you can too, just click on 
the Books link
to see a list of his novels) 

No comments:

Post a Comment