Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Road Trip Texas style

We've been hibernating lately 
staying home, warm and cozy during the cold spell

We finally decided it was time to get out and about!

ROAD TRIP !!!!

Destination...East Texas...Canton

SHADY PINES
(My son's country place is a favorite 
gathering spot for our family)

 I featured it in a past Post

 The main house is a great place to gather

    
However.....


 My favorite place at Shady Pines 
is the little cottage at the back of the property

My daughter, granddaughter and myself 
have taken this sweet little house on as a labor of love.......
it's an ongoing project and each time we visit 
we add a few decorating touches
(hubby even contributes with his MAN labor
thanks for installing the new dishwasher)




This trip the twin room got some loving attention
We added colorful quilts, vintage decor on the wall
and a few more pieces to our shelf over the window


We also hung some pretty curtains to soften the room up a bit


Last year we added curtains 
and a day bed to the other bedroom



I think each bedroom has it's own charm


We took down the old shade over the kitchen sink
and replaced it with a pretty curtain topper


Another new addition to the kitchen/living area
is this darling drop leaf table

My sweet friend and favorite junkin' partner
had this vintage table in her barn and 
donated it for the cottage

Thank you Judy!!!


To add to the family fun we had a birthday celebration
Saturday night


 I love that my sweet granddaughter and I can share our 
birthday celebrations together

I love my birthday gifts


Thank you Susan for my Tiffany playing cards
Now that's a classy game!!!
Thank you Justin & Jennifer for my 
fabulous clothes from Altar'd State
and thank you hubby for my leather journal
What a thoughtful and beautiful gift!

Sunday after the masses left, 
hubby and I took a country drive


We visited the Blue Moon Gardens
(if you haven't been there it should be on
your East Texas bucket list)




and stopped in the little town of Edom
renowned for it's artist community

Best little wide spot in Texas

Monday morning it was time to go home 
we said goodbye 
to Pork Chop, the pig
and Chuck, the rooster
(Celebrities at Shady Pines) 
 Hubby pulled up a Texas Map
and decided we'd take a
different route home
stopping in the charming town
of Bastrop for lunch

(I was intrigued with the following description
written on their Chamber of Commerce website) 

Besides having one of the most historic and quaint downtowns in the State of Texas, Bastrop, nestled along the banks of the Colorado River, also boasts delicious culinary treasures sure to please even the most devout foodies, a thriving art scene, some of the best live music just east of Austin, and the most adorable shops and boutiques full of thoughtfully curated goods.

This Texas small town is worth the stop!!

We ate a delicious lunch at
Maxine's Cafe and Bakery
located in the quaint downtown

Recognized by Texas Monthly as one of the “40 Best Places for Breakfast in Texas” and one of the
 “40 Best Small Town Cafes in Texas” 

 I'll end with a little Texas history ........

While finding our way to Bastrop 
we traveled on the OSR
(Old San Antonio Road)
and discovered this road has some 
very interesting history

 It's the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail
dating back to the 1600's
  
 Check out it's history here

Every Little Birdie says


A Texas Road Trip 
is a delightful cure
for the winter blues  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment