Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ole Time Gardening Wisdom

I'm a February girl.  For my birthday my sister and mom both gave me gardening books.  Just in time to start my gardening plans for March. 

I can't wait to get my hands dirty!!!


This wonderful book is by Jerry Baker, Master Gardener

It's all about the lessons he learned from his Grandma Putt.

Here are a few stories from his book:

"My Grandma Putt always had a way with youngsters, and when I first went to live with her, she took me for a walk in her fantastic garden, introducing me to all of her friends.  Quite simply, the plants in her garden were her friends -- she looked out for them, and they looked out for her."

"Junior, I think it's about time we laid out some chores for you to do.  A little work never hurt a boy your age."  Work! That word had a nasty ring to it- work was taking out the garbage, cleaning up my room, or shoveling snow off of the driveway, Work was no fun; as a matter of fact, it was the dirtiest four letter word I knew at the time!  "Yes, it's about time you got acquainted with my friend, good ol' Mother Earth," she said  And, as they say, the rest is history.

I have had fun over the years introducting my plant friends to my grandchildren and teaching them about gardening so I find this book all the more endearing.

This book is filled with info on soil, vegetable gardening, herbs, fruits, flowers, trees and so much more.

Also, throughout the book you will find
Grandma Putt's Words of Wisdom
....like this one-

"talking to your plants is fine,
but listening to them
is even more important"



My sister gave me this book on Native Texas Plants

I have learned over the years if you want your garden to do well you must include a lot of native plants.  They are so hardy and drought resistant they almost take care of themselves!!!!


Also another great resource is Birds & Blooms.  This great little magazine has it all....how to take care of your
"Birdies" and plants!!!!

Have I mentioned that we have a
"Secret Garden" in Victoria????

Next post I'll share a little
about this best kept secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment